Moorditch Gurlongga Association Inc. (Trading as Coolabaroo) obtained funds in January 2015 from the Mental Health Commission under the National Perinatal Depression Initiative (Small Grants Program).
The overall aim of the project was to develop culturally appropriate strategies, programs and resources for Aboriginal mothers to help them understand and cope with perinatal depression.
We did not specify the type of resource to be developed as we believed this should come from grass roots Aboriginal mothers. We achieved this by working closely with our Aboriginal Early Years Mothers Group who workshopped with us perinatal depression and ideas for the best way to get information to other Aboriginal mothers in the Perth metropolitan area.
We also consulted other partner and relevant Aboriginal or Aboriginal service organisations.
As a result of these consultations, our AEYS mothers came up with the concept of a diary that incorporated information on perinatal depression but that provided a holistic view of pregnancy and early motherhood.
We are pleased to announce that this diary has now been completed. The diary incorporates:
- Information to help have a happy, healthy and balanced pregnancy and early motherhood;
- Looking after yourself
- Personal section (collecting important information and preparing yourself)
- Information on perinatal depression (during and after pregnancy)
- Medical section (help with having a healthy pregnancy, giving birth, what to expect with Drs and medical tests)
- Information for dads
- A yarning section with organisations, websites and resources to help you with pregnancy and parenting;
- A diary for appointments and reminders.